The Qualsafe Level 3 Award in First Response Emergency Care is a 5 Day program focusing on additional interventions and management of serious incidents with the expectation of longer term management of the casualty at the scene. It is expected that candidates will have previously attended some First Aid training.
The course is a mix of taught theory, practical demonstration, skill stations and realistic scenarios.
Below is a guide as to what could be covered, however, where possible we aim to tailor the content, delivery style and contextual setting to your needs, be they as an Expedition leader in remote areas, industrial settings or for those working in hostile environments.
The Pre Hospital Environment
- The role of FPOS
- Minimising risk of infection
- Post-incident procedures
- Mechanism of Injury
- Patient Assessment
- Communicating with patients
- Primary survey and assessment
- Safe moving and handling
Respiration and Airway Management
- Recognition of respiratory problems
- Basic airway management - Oral, Nasal and Laryngeal Airways
- Use of suction
- Oxygen Administration- Delivery systems and SpO2
Basic Life Support
Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation - to current UK guidelines
- Automated external defibrillation
- Normal / abnormal heart rhythms
Circulation and Shock
- Recognition and initial care of haemorrhage
- Catastrophic Haemorrhage - including the use of tourniquets and haemostatics
- General Bone / Joint injuries
- Head injuries
- Spinal & Pelvic injuries
- Chest injuries
- Eye Injuries
- Heat Stroke & Dehydration
Medical Related Emergencies
- Heart attack/angina
- Asthma - including additional remote protocols
- Anaphylaxis - including additional remote protocols
This course is assessed by Skills Observation during the course, Practical Assessments and Multiple Choice Question Exam.
Following successful completion of the course, candidates are required to evidence 118 hours of Continuing Professional Development in order to achieve certification. We will provide candidates with full guidance and support to enable successful completion of this post-course phase.
- Certification is issued by Qualsafe.
- The course is recognised by Ofqual as being a Level 3 award on the Qualifications Credit Framework.
- Clinical endorsement of the qualification is by the Royal College of Surgeons (Edinburgh) Faculty of Pre-Hospital Care. The qualification meets Grade descriptor C of the faculty of pre hospital care, pre hospital emergency medicine skills framework - PHEM Skill
Grade C - Nationally certificated advanced first aider. i.e. FPoS Basic, D13 Standard/Module 3 police officers
Training can be delivered here in Pembrokeshire or at your venue. Because of the practical nature of the course it is ideally delivered with access to the normal or anticipated working environment of the candidates, be that a petrochemical plant, maritime environment or any other high-risk or remote environment.
Private Courses for Discrete Groups