This course is set up to meet the Statutory requirements for those who work with infants and children in a professional capacity.
The course is compliant with OFSTED, Esytn, DFES Early Years Foundation Stage and CSSIW requirements and recommendations.
The course is “hands on", with the emphasis on understanding the principles of ill or injured younger child. The balance between practical and theory work encourages participation.
The Childcare Act 2006 places a specific legal requirement through the Early Years Foundation Stage 2007, from September 2008, and the regulations apply to all schools and early years providers in Ofsted and Estyn registered settings attended by young children - that is children from birth to the end of the academic year in which a child has their fifth birthday.
The regulations go on to say:
"At least one person who has a current paediatric first aid certificate must be on the premises and available at all times when children are present, and must accompany children on outings. Childminders, and any assistant who might be in sole charge of the children for any period of time, must hold a current paediatric first aid certificate"
"First-aid provision must be available at all times while people are on school premises, and also off the premises whilst on school visits".
This 12 hour (two day) course includes:
- Assessment of Danger
- Anatomical difference between children and adults
- Basic Life Support - including -CPR, Recovery Position, Choking
- Bleeding & bandaging
- Bone & joint injuries
- Head & spine Injuries
- Eye injuries
- Burns & scalds
- Asthma & Hyperventilation
- Febrile Convulsions
- Anaphylactic Shock including the administration of an auto-injector
- Electric Shock
- Requirements of a First Aid Box
- Parental Administration of Medicines
This course is assessed by Multiple Choice Exam and Practical Assessment.
- Certification is issued by Qualsafe.
- The course is recognised by Ofqual as being a Level 3 award on the Qualifications Credit Framework.
- This course can be used as evidence for employees working towards an NVQ in Childcare and Education.
Training can be delivered here in Pembrokeshire or at your venue.
This course is currently only available to private groups subject to a minimum of 6 candidates